National Treasure Ruriko-ji Temple Pagoda
After Yoshihiro Ouchi lost his life in 1399 during the Ouei Rebellion, his brother Moriharu planned this five-storied pagoda as a resting place for Yoshihiro’s soul. The pagoda was completed forty-three years later in 1442.
The hosangen architecture pagoda is 31.2m tall. Chinese architecture stylings can be identified amongst the primarily Japanese architecture stylings.
The refined appearance of the pagoda lends itself to the Hinoki cypress barked roofs and each floor becoming narrower than the floor below it.
Considered one of Japan’s three best pagodas, this pagoda is a masterpiece rooted in the Ouchi culture and is an architectural marvel from the Muromachi Period.
|Location||7-1, Kouzancho, Yamaguchi-shi, Yamaguchi|
|Access||(1) 30 minutes by bus from JR Shin-Yamaguchi Station
→ 10 minute walk from Prefectural Office bus stop
(2) 20 minute drive from Chugoku Expressway Ogori IC
|Office of Inquiry||Tourist Information Center TEL before Kozan Park: 083-934-6630|